Arthur S. Beeman
Arthur (Art) Beeman is a partner in the San Francisco office of Arent Fox where he is a member of the firm’s Complex Litigation and Intellectual Property practices. He focuses on the trial and management of complex intellectual property and commercial litigation, and has extensive experience handling matters in the telecommunications, internet, software, medical device, and construction machinery industries.
Nationally recognized by numerous legal publications for his courtroom achievements, Art has tried more than 30 cases to jury verdict in venues throughout the United States including: New York; Boston; Chicago; Portland, Oregon; San Francisco; Cleveland; Minneapolis; Billings, Montana; and Lexington, Kentucky. As lead trial counsel, he obtained a $47 million jury verdict in a patent infringement dispute for the inventor of a shock hazard protection device, a defense jury verdict for a Terex subsidiary in a patent infringement case, and an $8.5 million jury verdict, plus an award of attorneys’ fees and costs, for CollegeNET in a patent infringement and Lanham Act case.
Select representative jury and bench trials include:
- CollegeNet v. XAP (2006 jury trial; US District Court, District of Oregon; patent infringement and Lanham Act claims; 3 weeks; won as lead counsel an $8.5 million jury verdict).
- CollegeNet v. XAP (2007 bench trial; US District Court, District of Oregon; Lanham Act claims; one week; won as lead counsel a $4.5 million verdict, finding of willfulness and award of attorneys fees.)
- Gaus v. Conair (2002 jury trial; US District Court, Southern District of New York; patent infringement claims; 3 weeks; won as lead counsel a $47 million verdict for inventor.)
- Read v. Powerscreen (2000 jury trial; US District Court, District of Massachusetts; patent infringement claims; 4 weeks; won as lead counsel a defense verdict on one patent and successfully appealed adverse verdict on other patent.)
- Tigard v. Syntennico and Field Turf (2001 jury trial; US District Court, District of Oregon, 2 weeks; breach of contract and fraud claims; won as lead counsel a defense verdict.)
- Soo Line Railroad Company v. Hawker Siddeley Canada, Inc., 950 F.2d 526 (US Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit 1991), wherein novel issues of personal jurisdiction over an international corporation based on compliance with industry standards were considered by the appellate court.
- America West Airlines, Inc. v. GPA Group, LTD., et al.; 877 F.2d 793 (US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit 1989), wherein the appellate court considered novel issues related to jurisdiction over a foreign sovereign pursuant to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
- Dr. Harry Gaus v. Conair Corporation, 03-1295-1310 (US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit 2004), wherein the appellate court reviewed and considered estoppels issues under the patent laws based on language in a patent’s specifications.
- CSX Transportation, Inc. v. Chicago and North Western Transportation Company (US Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit 1995), wherein the appellate court reviewed and considered complex indemnity arrangements between railroads.
Art was previously the managing partner of a global law firm’s Silicon Valley office, where he was also the chair of the firm’s Patent Litigation practice.
Select previous work includes:
- Local.com Corporation v. Fry’s Electronics, Inc. (US District Court, Central District of California, 2012). Served as lead counsel for client Fry’s Electronics in defense of a patent infringement case involving an e-commerce technology.
Caldera Pharmaceuticals, Inc. v. The Regents of the University of California, et al. (California Superior Court in San Francisco, 2012). Served as lead counsel for client Caldera in resolution of claims brought against defendants for breach of contract and fraud in connection with a patent licensing agreement.
Shared Medical Resources, LLC v. Histologics, LLC, et al. (US District Court, Central District of California, 2012). Served as lead counsel for client Histologics in defense of patent infringement case involving a medical device technology.
Ultimate Pointer, LLC v. Sears, Roebuck and Co., et al. (US District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2011). Served as lead counsel for client defendants in defense of a patent infringement case involving gaming technology.
Alto Ventures, Inc. v. Transera Communications, Inc., et al. (US District Court, District of Nevada, 2011). Served as lead counsel for client Transera in defense of a patent infringement case involving a telecommunications technology.
- Fotomedia Technologies, LLC v. Insider Guides, Inc., et al. (US District Court, District of Delaware, 2011). Successful dismissal as lead counsel for Insider Guides in a patent infringement case an Internet file-sharing technology.
- Rovi Corporation v. Alticast Corporation (US District Court, Central District of California, 2011). Successful settlement as lead counsel for client Rovi, which brought claims for breach of contract, unjust enrichment and fraud.
- Sendmail, Inc. v. Tumbleweed Communications (US District Court, Northern District of California, 2009). Successful settlement as lead counsel for client Sendmail, Inc. in a patent infringement and breach of contract case involving e-mail firewall technology.
- Exergetic, Inc. v. Edison Mission Energy and Midwest Generation (US District Court, Northern District of California, 2009). Successful settlement as lead counsel for clients Edison Mission Energy and Midwest Generation in a patent infringement lawsuit involving intelligent software relating to the efficiency of coal-fired power plants.
- Z-Line Designs, Inc. v. Planet 3, LLC (US District Court, Northern District of California, 2009). Successful settlement as lead counsel for client Planet 3, LLC in a design patent infringement, trademark infringement and unfair competition lawsuit involving ready-to-assemble furniture for use with televisions and stereos.
- Alexx, Inc. v. Charm Zone (US District Court, Northern District of California, 2010). Successful settlement as lead counsel for client Alexx, Inc. in a patent infringement case involving key chain locators.
- Silberline Manufacturing Co., Inc., et al. v. Eckart-Werke GmbH (US District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky, 2000). Successful settlement as lead counsel for client Silberline Manufacturing Co., Inc. in trade secrets dispute involving manufacture of aluminum flake pigment products for the automotive and plastics markets.
Publications, Presentations, and Recognitions
In 2008, the Daily Journal named Art among California’s “Top Ten Patent Lawyers” in its first-ever listing of the state’s top intellectual property lawyers. Most recently, Art was named in the 2014 edition of Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars, recognizing his work on high-stakes matters throughout the United States. Also, Art was named a 2014 Northern California Super Lawyer. In 2002, Art won a jury verdict for the inventor in Gaus v. Conair, which was listed by The National Law Journal as one of the top 10 jury verdicts that year. He also has been named in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, where he was described in that publication’s inaugural edition (2003-2004) as an “outstandingly energetic and creative IP lawyer... (who) enjoys a national reputation.” Art also has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
Art’s publications and presentations include:
- Co-Author, "The Cloud Is Not Falling: A Rational Read Of Aereo," Law360, August 2014
- “Trade Secrets & The Cloud,” ALM and The Recorder, General Counsel Conference, San Francisco, CA, 2013
- “Trade Secrets Law in US and China,” Global Intellectual Property Center at the US Chamber of Commerce, Washington, DC, 2009
- “Strategies for Going Forward From Both Sides of the Docket: Plaintiff’s Side,” 5th Annual Advanced Patent Litigation Course, Texas State Bar, Lake Tahoe, CA, 2009
- “Jury Decision in CollegeNET, Inc. v. XAP Corporation Expands Application of the Lanham Act to Internet Companies,” Internet Law, 2008
- “Effective Management of Patent Litigation,” West Coast General Counsel Conference, San Francisco, CA, 2008
- “Developments in the Federal Circuit,” Pharma/Biotech IP Due Diligence Summit, San Diego, CA, 2008
- “Reexamination of Patents During the Course of Litigation,” ACCA, CLE 2007 Spring Training, San Francisco, CA, 2007
- “Juries and Patent Cases: Effective Presentation of the Inventor’s Case to the Jury,” IP Litigator, 2006
- “Hate Speech and Free Expression Rights,” Lockhart Institute course, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic, 1995
Blog Posts by Arthur S. Beeman
ABOUT ARENT FOX LLP
Arent Fox LLP, founded in 1942, is internationally recognized in core practice areas where business and government intersect. With more than 350 lawyers, the firm provides strategic legal counsel and multidisciplinary solutions to clients that range from Fortune 500 corporations to trade associations. The firm has offices in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC.