JD Harriman is a partner in Arent Fox’s Los Angeles office where he is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property group. His practice focuses on post-grant patent proceedings, patent prosecution, strategic counseling, due diligence investigations, pre-suit investigations, intellectual property litigation, and intellectual property counseling on behalf of the holders of large patent portfolios, as well as emerging growth companies.
JD has more than 20 years of experience in patent prosecution, as well as trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, patent infringement analyses, patent validity studies, and intellectual property transactions. He possesses extensive technical knowledge of circuit design, software patents, Internet patents, business method patents, semiconductor processing, electronic routing devices, optical transducers, storage devices, telecommunications, computer architecture, biomechanical devices, and medical devices. He has lectured on intellectual property matters on four continents.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, JD was a partner in the Los Angeles office of a large international law firm, where he focused on patent prosecution, post-grant proceedings, portfolio acquisition, and strategic advising in licensing and litigation matters.
Publications, Presentations, and Recognitions
JD’s publications include:
- "The Search for a Happy Median Against 'Trolls'," National Law Journal, September 9, 2013
- "NPE Battleground — Good Intentions Vs. Good Results," Law360, March 28, 2013
- “Bilski's impact on software patents,” Intellectual Property and Technology News, October 2010
- “New considerations in the patent process Patent Law 2009,” Top Lawyers on Trends and Key Strategies for the Upcoming Year, January 2009
- "The Implications of Intellectual Property Protection," Patent Enforcement Best Practices, March 2007
JD's presentations include:
- Panelist, Q&A at the Los Angeles Developer Patent Summit, April 2013
Blog Posts by JD Harriman
ABOUT ARENT FOX LLP
Arent Fox LLP, founded in 1942, is internationally recognized in core practice areas where business and government intersect. With more than 350 lawyers, the firm provides strategic legal counsel and multidisciplinary solutions to clients that range from Fortune 500 corporations to trade associations. The firm has offices in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC.